• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I register my Business with my Maiden Name?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

teck5a

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hello,

I am thinking of starting a small business as a Sole Proprietership, but would like to use my Maiden name, instead of my Married name, to register that business. I would think that it's not a problem because I will be paying taxes under my Social Security Number, which, of course, is still the same.
The only reason that I wish to do this is because I am currently employed and do not want my employer to find out. My Business will not compete with my Employer in any way, so I can't imagine any kind of conflict of interest issues, however, I do not wish to do anything illegal.
Is this legal and should I consult with an Attorney before proceeding?

Thank you,
Teck5A

C

chrissie

You can file for a fictitious name certificate, so that your "doing business as" name will be your maiden name. Check with your local clerk of the court for the form and fee (nominal).

Just be sure that at tax time you write your legal name as it appears on your social security card on your tax return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">