• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sell items of different shops?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

artzi

Hi,

Can I as a shop buy products from other shops and sell it in my store?
I will give an example let's say I buy Coca-Cola from WallMart. Can I sell it in my store? Can Coca-Cola sue me for anything or can any body else sue me? I do not have any contract with Coca-Cola and I have bought the item for a cheap price and I want to re-sell it again for a higher price.
Am I law-breaker, in any way?

I will give another example. Let's say I have a clothing shop and I buy a product from Mother-care for cheap price and re-sell it again in my store have I again break any law in doing it. Can I do it?

I hope I was clear enough,

Thanks
Artzi

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

artzi said:
Hi,

Can I as a shop buy products from other shops and sell it in my store?
I will give an example let's say I buy Coca-Cola from WallMart. Can I sell it in my store? Can Coca-Cola sue me for anything or can any body else sue me? I do not have any contract with Coca-Cola and I have bought the item for a cheap price and I want to re-sell it again for a higher price.
Am I law-breaker, in any way?

I will give another example. Let's say I have a clothing shop and I buy a product from Mother-care for cheap price and re-sell it again in my store have I again break any law in doing it. Can I do it?

I hope I was clear enough,

Thanks

Artzi

My response:

You were clear.

You'll be just fine. We all buy and sell things all the time. Let's take "Costco" or "Price Club" as examples. Business owners go there all the time and resell the goods they buy. As a matter of fact, that's one of the major purposes of those stores!

Once you buy a product, it becomes yours to sell, use, destroy, or whatever. As a matter of fact, if the opposite were true, the busines world would come to a screeching halt.

IAAL

H

hexeliebe

IAAL is correct

but be careful. The copyright laws and recent decisions regarding recorded movies and/or music will cause you some heartache.

If you buy for example, a new CD from costco and then sell it to a third-party without an ASCAP or BMI contract you COULD come under copyright infringement notice.

I know it sounds silly, since the roalities have already been paid on the initial purchase of the music, but the rights of the music, video and/or other intellectual property does not pass to the purchaser but remains with the creator.

Just be careful. Jack Valente has started a mud slide with his active prosecution of college students downloading music, compiling CDs then selling them to friends.

Yes, this is different than your situation but not so different to save you should you be the subject of an action. Just so you'll know, recently the sixth circuit court of appeals decided a case against a large flea market operator for not collecting the above fees for operators selling and "trading" CDs.

A

artzi

OK I have understand you,

If it is not not CDs or this type of staff.
Let me give an example. Let's say I buy a versace clothing or gucci clothing in one shop and I countinue selling it in my shop.
Do I break any copyright law or any other laws?

Thanks
Artzi

H

hexeliebe

probably not

but I will defer to IAAL on this matter. My concern is that you don't do anything without the advice of a competent attorney in your area but normally, if you stay away from "intellictual property rights" issues you should be safe.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">