• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can i sell my services as a 3d artist at age 17 - Ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TJSD

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
-Ohio

Hello, I live in ohio, i am 17, and am a 3d designer. I have wanted to sell my services as a 3d designer for the 8 years i have been practicing as one. i plan on going to college in the next year or so for a communications degree, and i plan on making this a career.

In ohio, our child labor laws are relatively strict. Untill im 18 i need a work permit to become employed.

I want to operate like a child running around with a lawn mower, only in larger scale. no cops gonna put a kid on trial for mowing lawns, but then again, a child mowing lawns isnt gonna make $300+ a job, which raises some red flags in the laws eyes i would imagine.

I want to use word of mouth marketing and craigs list advertising to gain local support and make a couple extra hundred bucks on the side. when a job comes up, i do the job, i get paid all at once at the end, im out.

im scared if i just go through with this that i will be breaking some sort of law.

The argument comes up, "Why cant you just wait till you are 18?" but that is when im going to college and i want to have allready been claiming work experience in my field and been making some chump change to spend outside of food, living and other necessities.

if somebody can help edumicated me on this, and tell me if the way i suggest will work, or if there is some other method i might do to achieve this, or if im just SoL untill im 18.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
-Ohio

Hello, I live in ohio, i am 17, and am a 3d designer. I have wanted to sell my services as a 3d designer for the 8 years i have been practicing as one. i plan on going to college in the next year or so for a communications degree, and i plan on making this a career.

In ohio, our child labor laws are relatively strict. Untill im 18 i need a work permit to become employed.

I want to operate like a child running around with a lawn mower, only in larger scale. no cops gonna put a kid on trial for mowing lawns, but then again, a child mowing lawns isnt gonna make $300+ a job, which raises some red flags in the laws eyes i would imagine.

I want to use word of mouth marketing and craigs list advertising to gain local support and make a couple extra hundred bucks on the side. when a job comes up, i do the job, i get paid all at once at the end, im out.

im scared if i just go through with this that i will be breaking some sort of law.

The argument comes up, "Why cant you just wait till you are 18?" but that is when im going to college and i want to have allready been claiming work experience in my field and been making some chump change to spend outside of food, living and other necessities.

if somebody can help edumicated me on this, and tell me if the way i suggest will work, or if there is some other method i might do to achieve this, or if im just SoL untill im 18.
Just get a work permit, keep track of your income, and report your wages when you file a tax return. Many many students work while attending school and all must get permits to do so. Not a big deal.

As a note, there were some young children with a thriving lemonade stand that were ticketed for operating a business without a permit, so stranger things than a kid being busted for mowing a lawn can happen. ;)

Last edited:

TJSD

Just get a work permit, keep track of your income, and report your wages when you file a tax return. Many many students work while attending school and all must get permits to do so. Not a big deal.

As a note, there were some young children with a thriving lemonade stand that were ticketed for operating a business without a permit, so stranger things than a kid being busted for mowing a lawn can happen. ;)
wow, i guess stranger things can happen. do you have any advice on signing my self as my employer on my permit paperwork? im supposed to have my employer sign the paperwork and bring it back to the local highschool. like i said, its kindof screwed up.

I appreciate the response. It definitely settles some of the concerns i had.

quincy

Here is a link to Ohio's Minor Labor Law: http://www.com.ohio.gov/laws/OhioMinorWageLaw.aspx.

In Ohio, if you are minor mowing lawns, you don't need a permit. It is also entirely possible that you will not require a permit if you are self-employed as a 3d designer.

I would avoid the lemonade business, though. :)

I suggest you fill out the permit application as fully as you can and have your parents sign the application, and leave the "employer" section blank. Then take the permit application to your school.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">