• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue an internet forum for violating freedom of speech?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

if i can what damages can i realistically sue for?
You can sue anybody for anything.

Will you prevail? No. Freedom of speech is not applicable to private servers/websites.

If you want to post whatever you want, get your own website. :cool:

fstep2

issue is they do not enforce it the same way for everyone. they just happened to not like what i said but when someone else said something similar they let it go...

Proserpina

issue is they do not enforce it the same way for everyone. they just happened to not like what i said but when someone else said something similar they let it go...

Doesn't matter - dude, read THESE forums.

Some posters can get away with saying certain things; others cannot.

Nothing illegal about it.

:cool:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
And that's their prerogative. If you want the same privilege, you are quite free to set up your own website/server. :cool:

Banned_Princess

Are you saying OP is not on Earth? :confused:
oh no, him and his agreement buddy, might physically be on earth, but their views and beliefs on how "private" and "constitutional" works is out of this world.

High Schools should spend more time on this. "you have the freedom to speak your mind - unless in a crowded theater yelling fire", is clearly not cutting it.

antrc170

oh no, him and his agreement buddy, might physically be on earth, but their views and beliefs on how "private" and "constitutional" works is out of this world.

High Schools should spend more time on this. "you have the freedom to speak your mind - unless in a crowded theater yelling fire", is clearly not cutting it.
And exactly how are teachers going to find the time to actually pass on usefull information when they have government sponsered tests that they need to "teach" to?

plus, how are kids expected to learn when they have so much other stuff to tweet about, like who's getting pregnant next?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">