• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my business continue to be charge interest on a settled bill?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stembis

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I have a small business in Pennsylvania. A supplier of mine has terms of 15 days, and will charge 1.5% every 30 days after the 15 days. Fair enough. On a recent transaction the payment went over the 15 days (by agreement) and they immediately sent me an invoice for 30 days interest. However, I settled the bill early after only 10 days and asked for a credit on the remaining 20 days interest. But now they tell me that I must pay the full interest for the 30 days, whether the bill is settled on the 2nd day or the 30th day.

Question - is it legal? Surely, no entity is entitled to charge interest where no interest is due? No formal agreement was signed.

Comments would be appreciated.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I have a small business in Pennsylvania. A supplier of mine has terms of 15 days, and will charge 1.5% every 30 days after the 15 days. Fair enough. On a recent transaction the payment went over the 15 days (by agreement) and they immediately sent me an invoice for 30 days interest. However, I settled the bill early after only 10 days and asked for a credit on the remaining 20 days interest. But now they tell me that I must pay the full interest for the 30 days, whether the bill is settled on the 2nd day or the 30th day.

Question - is it legal? Surely, no entity is entitled to charge interest where no interest is due? No formal agreement was signed.

Comments would be appreciated.
so I guess you don't want to purchase from this vendor using standard terms in the future, right?

Stembis

so I guess you don't want to purchase from this vendor using standard terms in the future, right?
No, I absolutely do want to continue. I just want to know if it is legal to continue to charge someone interest on a paid commercial debt?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">