• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a person try to sue me if they don't even give me a contract to look at?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gdas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

My husband and I had answered an add to a work with a personal trainer on Craigslist. We went for our first trial session to get measured and etc. We were to meet from then on on every Thursday. The two Thursdays after the first trial session, we had cancelled through email in advance and then we just told her that we will be moving so we will no longer be seeing her. She is now threatening to report this to a credit bureau and get her lawyer involved. Now here's where it all gets messy:

1. The only form we signed was a medical/physical status which we did not get a copy of. She claims that we signed something on it saying that we agreed to pay a late fee and a termination fee.

2. When I told her that we are not legally obliged to answer to her, she said that we now owe her $325.00 in total. We didn't give her our address or anything like that from the begining because she didn't ask it of us and now she is demanding it.

3.Other than the physical/medical status form, we didn't sign any sort of a contract. She is not willing to give us through email a copy of whatever we did sign. She is only willing to give us a copy of it through our address which she didn't ask for from the start so we didn't give it to her. We sure as hell are not going to give it to her now. There was nothing stating how much we would pay her, we just verbally agreed on an X amount of money per session for the both of us which was changed again without a contract.

She stated that she does have a license business with a lawyer and an accountant and they now have all of our information.

Can a lawyer get involved in something as ambiguous as this? I mean, on what legal grounds does she have to sue us? I don't think we did anything legally or morally wrong. Once we told her that we were uninterested in her service, she went money hungry. What should we do?

Thanks for reading,

GM

You Are Guilty

Ignoring the fact that you apparently have no idea what you signed (it very well may be a binding contract), verbal agreements can be binding as well. So even absent a writing, you can still be held liable to the trainer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">