• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the Previous owner sue for anything??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mtwalleye

What is the name of your state? MT

I want to go into business with a partner. I'm aware of a business that is going to file bankruptsy the end of this month. We want to lease their space. The only problem is that my partner use to work for the woman filing bankruptsy. When my partner left several of the people and business left with her, by choice. My partner is now worried if we lease that space that the former owner could sue her something. Saying that she came to work there just to steal away her business and force her into bankruptsy. Whish is totally untrue and every person that stopped using that business and went to my partner would testify to that they left on their own free will.

Is there anything the former owner could do??? Thank you!

HomeGuru

mtwalleye said:
What is the name of your state? MT

I want to go into business with a partner. I'm aware of a business that is going to file bankruptsy the end of this month. We want to lease their space. The only problem is that my partner use to work for the woman filing bankruptsy. When my partner left several of the people and business left with her, by choice. My partner is now worried if we lease that space that the former owner could sue her something. Saying that she came to work there just to steal away her business and force her into bankruptsy. Whish is totally untrue and every person that stopped using that business and went to my partner would testify to that they left on their own free will.

Is there anything the former owner could do??? Thank you!
**A: your question is overly broad, vague and ambiguous. There are a lot of things that the former owner could do.

M

mtwalleye

Ok, sorry, I didn't know how specific to get. Here's the specifics.
I'll make this as easy to understand as possible. I'm going to assume I'm my partner to make the question easier to ask. So technically all of this happened to my partner, not me.

I own my own daycare with 14 children attending. Got an offer to work for a daycare center as the Director. When I started I brought all 14 children with me to the new place (all parents agreed to make the switch). I worked there one month before the business was bought by a new owner. After a week with the new owner things went down hill fast. The place became unsafe. I quit after about 3 weeks. When I left several of the parents started taking their children elsewhere as well. Some of those children came to me in my home.

Now, this daycare is filing bankruptsy. My partner and I would like to lease the building. Can the owner sue and say I went to work for her just to get a relationship with parents, leave and take those kids with me just to drive them out of business?

Does that help clarify my question?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">