• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can sole proprietors do business as one business name?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

L321

Aloha from Hawaii!
My friend and I are starting a taxi business. There will be only two taxis - his and mine. Can we both be sole proprietors dba one business name? If so, how would we go about making our dba official and legal? Can two sole proprietors both use/register the same dba name? Where do we go to set-up the dba contract/agreement?

H

hexeliebe

You are asking a question that has very serious implications and not just what is allowed. Although I do not have the time to research the specific state statutes of Hawaii regarding business registrations and/or partnership, I can tell you that no matter how you register the business, should a disagreement occur and the matter goes to court, there is abundant case law to suggest that the registration of the business will be of little consequence.

It is the intent and the business practice of the parties that the court will look towards in judging the business either a sole proprietorship or a partnership, and the implications for both are very different.

The best suggestion I can give you is either consult with an attorney in your area or call the City Hall of your city to ask the specific requirements for business license registration.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">