• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you play CD's over the store speakers without having to pay licencing fees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rookie_merchant

I run a discount clothing store in Chicago, and want to play cd's from my collection for ambiance. One of my buddies told me that I couldn't just play random music, that you have to pay licencing fees. Is that true? Thanks.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

rookie_merchant said:
I run a discount clothing store in Chicago, and want to play cd's from my collection for ambiance. One of my buddies told me that I couldn't just play random music, that you have to pay licencing fees. Is that true? Thanks.

My response:

It's very true. The purchase of the CD's allowed you a license for private, personal enjoyment. What you're doing is having a "public performance", something the license specifically prohibits.

The RIAA and BMI have "spotters" that go from store to store listening and, if you're not a paid licensee, you get sued. It's as simple as that.

You'll never know until it's too late.

IAAL

divgradcurl

Although you need a license to play a CD in a store, as IAAL pointed out, you can play the radio in a store without a license, subject to certain limitations. That might be an option if you have a suitable radio station in the area!

R

rookie_merchant

I was afraid of that being the case, the problem is that radio in Chicago is as bad as radio everywhere else. What if I make the CDs I play available for sale? I have some space that I can dedicate to used CDs. Would that make it legal?

Thanks for the replys IAAL and divgradcurl.

HomeGuru

rookie_merchant said:
I was afraid of that being the case, the problem is that radio in Chicago is as bad as radio everywhere else. What if I make the CDs I play available for sale? I have some space that I can dedicate to used CDs. Would that make it legal?

Thanks for the replys IAAL and divgradcurl.
**A: see the response from IAAL and divgradcurl.

divgradcurl

" What if I make the CDs I play available for sale? I have some space that I can dedicate to used CDs. Would that make it legal?"

No, merely selling CD's does not grant a license to publicly perform the musical works. You will still need a license. BMI and ASCAP provide blanket licenses for people who want to play CD's in stores and the like; you can check on their websites for info and pricing.

R

rookie_merchant

I'll look into getting a blanket licence or something if I can afford it. Till then, its the radio. Thank you for the advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">