• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car dealer says we owe more money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

all866

Recently we bought a used car from a reputable car dealer. After all the paperwork had been signed and approved, we drove away. The next day they said there was a mistake on the paperwork and we owe $1,500 more. We offered to take off the ext. warranty and let them keep that money and call it even (about $800.00) They refused and insist we pay the whole amount. Are we liable? The bank says it is our problem to deal with the car agency.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by all866:
Recently we bought a used car from a reputable car dealer. After all the paperwork had been signed and approved, we drove away. The next day they said there was a mistake on the paperwork and we owe $1,500 more. We offered to take off the ext. warranty and let them keep that money and call it even (about $800.00) They refused and insist we pay the whole amount. Are we liable? The bank says it is our problem to deal with the car agency.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Please read my response to you on the "Real Estate" Board, and answer all of the questions I had, here.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

A

all866

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE:

My response:

Please read my response to you on the "Real Estate" Board, and answer all of the questions I had, here.

IAAL

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
We are in NH and put a deposit on the car 5/27/00. The paperwork was written by the salesman and we called on 5/30/00 to verify the $ figure was correct. He said it was, so we proceeded to the bank and got the loan. 5/31/00 we drove to the dealer with our trade in and signed all the paperwork. He went to get the paperwork approved and came out with the keys saying everything looks good and we were all set. We drove off with our (new) car. The following day he called and said there was an honest mistake on the paperwork and we owe $1,500.00 more. They are insisting we have to pay it. I don't feel we should be liable for it.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by all866:
Originally posted by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE:

My response:

IAAL

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
We are in NH and put a deposit on the car 5/27/00. The paperwork was written by the salesman and we called on 5/30/00 to verify the $ figure was correct. He said it was, so we proceeded to the bank and got the loan. 5/31/00 we drove to the dealer with our trade in and signed all the paperwork. He went to get the paperwork approved and came out with the keys saying everything looks good and we were all set. We drove off with our (new) car. The following day he called and said there was an honest mistake on the paperwork and we owe $1,500.00 more. They are insisting we have to pay it. I don't feel we should be liable for it.
My response:

Okay. Did the salesman tell you which category the mistake was in; e.g., the value of, or the payoff of, your trade-in; or the price of the new car itself, or the total on the bottom line was added incorrectly, or something else that you received with your new car for which a charge was not made?

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

A

all866

The salesman said we agreed to pay $1500. Neither my husband or myself remember saying that, but we did agree to pay up to $3000 and finance the rest. The way figures kept bouncing around during negotiations got a little confusing. When we got home and studied the agreement we were unsure if that was correct, so we called to confirm. There is no mention on the agreement of us needing to put down $1500. We took the total at the bottom, deducted about $2500 that we would pay and financed the rest.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

The salesman said we agreed to pay $1500. Neither my husband or myself remember saying that, but we did agree to pay up to $3000 and finance the rest. The way figures kept bouncing around during negotiations got a little confusing. When we got home and studied the agreement we were unsure if that was correct, so we called to confirm. There is no mention on the agreement of us needing to put down $1500. We took the total at the bottom, deducted about $2500 that we would pay and financed the rest.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Sounds good to me. Somewhere on your agreement are words to the effect: "All agreements must be in writing. Any oral statements are not valid."

If they signed the agreement, and you signed it, it's a done deal.

Oh, they'll scream, yell, and possibly make threats to take you to court. Don't worry. The agreement is in writing, THEY WROTE IT, they signed it.

Just tell them, "Have your lawyer write a letter to my lawyer." (Click)

IAAL

------------------

A

all866

Thank you very much. I feel more at ease. I wasn't sure if they would try to take our car away, or how we could come up with the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">