• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Dealership Conflict

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Carrie

I received a refund check for accidental life and disability insurance when I traded in my old vehicle. The dealership sent me the check and I called them when I received the check to see if it was in fact a legitamate refund. The person I talked with said yes it was correct and that it was safe to cash it. So I did. Three months later they sent me a letter telling me that they made a error and that they want me to pay back $700 of the check. What is my legal right? I called to confirm the check before cashing because I know that this dealership is very sneaky and I didn't want to have any problems. So know what do I do. I live in Wisconsin if that helps. I offered to pay half of the amount and they said they want it all. Please advise. Thanks

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Carrie:
I received a refund check for accidental life and disability insurance when I traded in my old vehicle. The dealership sent me the check and I called them when I received the check to see if it was in fact a legitamate refund. The person I talked with said yes it was correct and that it was safe to cash it. So I did. Three months later they sent me a letter telling me that they made a error and that they want me to pay back $700 of the check. What is my legal right? I called to confirm the check before cashing because I know that this dealership is very sneaky and I didn't want to have any problems. So know what do I do. I live in Wisconsin if that helps. I offered to pay half of the amount and they said they want it all. Please advise. Thanks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Were you entitled to a refund? Did you have the types of insurance that was the subject of the refund? How is the insurance connected to the trade in of your car? Were you aware that you were not entitled to the money?

C

Carrie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeGuru:
Were you entitled to a refund? Did you have the types of insurance that was the subject of the refund? How is the insurance connected to the trade in of your car? Were you aware that you were not entitled to the money?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I was entitled to the refund. I did take the extra coverage out when I bought the vehicle. If you trade your vehicle in before the loan is complete they send you a refund computed by the number of months you had the vehicle by the number of months the initial loan was taken out for. They sent me a check for 1677.00 and when I called they said yes it was a correct refund and dollar amount. Three months later they said they figured the loan payoff wrong and I should have only recieved 1000.00 so I need to pay the 677.00 back to them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">