• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cash money from brother in-law to start a business.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cabbievinnie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah I have poor credit and have only been making around $12,000 a yr. for the past 3 yrs. My brother in-law who believes in me wants to give me $50,000 cash to purchase a 2009 tow truck outright from a dealer to start my own towing business. this is basically a gift that I do intend on paying back as quickly as possible. My question is that this transaction will probably send up huge red flags with the I.R.S., and my bank. Will he have to pay a gift tax? Can we show this as investment capital somehow? He is not a U.S. citizen. Can make him part of my new L.L.C.? HELP!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah I have poor credit and have only been making around $12,000 a yr. for the past 3 yrs. My brother in-law who believes in me wants to give me $50,000 cash to purchase a 2009 tow truck outright from a dealer to start my own towing business. this is basically a gift that I do intend on paying back as quickly as possible. My question is that this transaction will probably send up huge red flags with the I.R.S., and my bank. Will he have to pay a gift tax? Can we show this as investment capital somehow? He is not a U.S. citizen. Can make him part of my new L.L.C.? HELP!
Treat it as a loan and draw up proper loan documents. That resolves the entire problem.

latigo

Sounds to me as if you brother-in-law might be looking upon you as a floating "Laundromat".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">