• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing LLC name ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mike2010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hello I opened an LLC many years ago in NJ.

#1 I'd like to know how difficult it would be the change it's name ? And the good and bad about doing so.

#2 Could I change it to a domain name ? (example : mywebsite.com LLC )

I appreciate it much

FlyingRon

You can do what you want with the domain name. Register the new one if it is available and it's up to you and your IT person to fix everything else.

As for the corporate name, you have two options. To actually CHANGE the name, you need to file the amendement (L-102). Alternatively, you can just register an alternate name (C-150G).
http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/revenue/dcr/geninfo/corpman.shtm

mike2010

Never heard of the 'alternate' name route. So it would still be the same company in general....just with an alt name ?

The thing I wanna do is change it from it's currently "company name LLC" to an actual domain name...like "mycompanyname.com LLC"

That was part of the question. Is it possible to name an LLC with an actual domain name ?

FlyingRon

The only protestation NJ would have would be if there was a similar business name already registered, but since you have that similar name already, it would seem unlikely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">