• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing from partnership to LLC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gabrianas

What is the name of your state? New York
my question is if a business is established as a partnership 25% and 75% is it possible for the partner who is 75% share to turn the buisness over to an LLC without both partners signing the papers at the lawyers office?

H

hexeliebe

What does your partnership agreement say as to voting rights of the partners?

G

gabrianas

Voting rights

This partnership is between family members. There was never a contract drawn just a DBA and that one partner is 75% owner on taxes and one partner is 25%.

H

hexeliebe

Then without a partnership agreement you are pretty much screwed. The 75% partner can sell his shares to an LLC and you are left holding a 25% interest in a business that you have no voice in.

I guess this is an expensive lesson. NEVER enter into a business relationship with ANYONE without a written contract.

At this point I would sell my interest in the partnership and look for other opportunities.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">