• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

China Guitar Kits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lefty6string

Live in VA.

Not sure where to begin on this so any advice would be appreciated.

I am considering starting a website for left handed guitar products. Specifically left handed guitar kits. These kits come from China that are in parts that have to be assembled and painted. They have no name brand on them but are made to LOOK LIKE some popular name brand guitars.

I understand there are MANY MANY MANY China factories that are making name brand guitars that are sold as the real thing which is very illegal. But are the kits, which have no finish or brand name, legal?

Thanks.

justalayman

most of it would depend on whether the physical design is protected under trademark rights. Trade dress is a legitimate trademark right. Think: Coca Cola bottle.

HomeGuru

How do I find out?
**A: talk to some guitar makers or guitar sellers. Do research on patents and guitar construction of the popular brands ie. ******, Taylor, Gibson etc.
It appears that these kits are for acoustic guitars and not solid body electrics. For acoustic boxes, certain brands use special bracing patterns.

FlyingRon

Oops you mentioned the person who can not be named here.

Unfortunately, the guitar shape hasn't been making much headway in getting trademark protection. Fender tried to get trademark recognition for the strat, tele, and p-bass. It lost cases against other manufacturers that make similarly shaped guitars.

On the other hand, some specific decorative devices, such as the RICK headstock swoop, have managed to stand some of the tests.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">