• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Close family member as the only other officer in 2-person nonprofit (501c3)?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

workonnet1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I recently incorporated a nonprofit in CA as its only director/founder/officer. It's a public benefit 501(c)(3) organization. I haven't filed 1023 for tax exemption yet. The statement of information form states that one "must" appoint 3 officers -- CEO, Secretary, CFO -- and that CEO "must" be a different person than Secretary. It's not clear if a close family member be the only other officer (two-person nonprofit 501c3) in a recently incorporated public benefit nonprofit in California.

Can I appoint a close family member e.g. a sibling as a Secretary/CFO?
Does this family member need to be US citizen/in the same state as the founder?

I'd originally filed for incorporation/statement-of-information as myself in all 3 positions inadvertently, but I need to correct it, and expect to have someone else replace the family member soon. Can I make the correction to the statement of information without consequences?
thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">