• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Closed business-How Can I Get Out of My Lease!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ennabind

What is the name of your state? TX

I opened a small retail business in January of this year and signed a one year lease. Business was so slow that, in May, I had to close. I have maxed out all of my credit cards and was only going to get deeper in debt if I stayed open. Now, the landlord is demanding that I continue making lease payments until he has another tenant for the space. I cannot make these payments. What can he do? The business was a sole proprietorship. Can he in anyway, be a threat to mine and my husband's personal finances?

There is a Part 2 of this message. Since I had a store full of inventory, I reopened another store, with a different name in June. My reason for doing this was that I found a space to lease about three miles from home as opposed to thirty miles and at almost half the rent I was paying before. Also, I am hoping to recoup some of my losses by selling off some of my inventory. Will I have to claim bankruptcy to get out of the first lease? If so, how would this affect the new store? Please help!!!!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">