• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Club Membership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

boda

I WANT TO GET OUT OF A CLUB MEMBERSHIP.I joined an activities club for singles in Illinois. In this club, they have activities planned for each day of the month, and you sign up to attend these planned events. They charge a membership fee ($1000/year) plus $10/month for dues in addition to the cost of the planned events which range from free to $100+. When I initially contacted the organization for information, I asked what it costs to be in the club. They made no mention of a membership fee, but did say it would cost anywhere from $8 to $18 per event. When I went for an interview/informational visit, I was shown how much the membership was and that I would have to pay monthly dues, which I agreed to. However, I did not get an opportunity to view the events booklet which showed the events planned and the cost. After I signed the membership, I was given a folder with that information and after looking at it only about half the events were within the price range ($8-$18) that I was quoted on the phone. CAN I GET OUT OF THIS CONTRACT?

JETX

Possibly.

Here is the 'kicker'... you say that you "did not get an opportunity to view the events booklet" and "After I signed the membership, I was given a folder with that information".
Those two contradict each other.... were you or were you not given the pricing information BEFORE the contract???

If you had the information and 'overlooked reading it', or should have requested the information and failed to do so, you are probably committed for a year. If you did not get all the required information before you signed the contract, the obligation is on you to be sure that you FULLY understand 'the deal' before signing the contract. I am sure that the contract included some clause pertaining to the 'optional' pricing.

Now, if the contract or deal was deceptive or negligent in it's omission of material fact, then you might be able to challenge it.

------------------
Steve Halket
Judgment Recovery of Houston
[email protected]
-----------------------
This is my PERSONAL OPINION and is not legal advice! Consult your local attorney for your specific situation and laws!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">