• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

co-signer on auto loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Q

questioner

Is the co-signer on an auto loan automatically a co-owner of the car? If something happens to the person buying the car, does the co-signer get the car? I am in California and am concerned about my son possibly being "ripped off."

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by questioner:
Is the co-signer on an auto loan automatically a co-owner of the car? If something happens to the person buying the car, does the co-signer get the car? I am in California and am concerned about my son possibly being "ripped off."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only the title or lien holders can be the owners. If the co-signer is not on title, co-signer does not become owner.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by questioner:
Is the co-signer on an auto loan automatically a co-owner of the car? If something happens to the person buying the car, does the co-signer get the car? I am in California and am concerned about my son possibly being "ripped off."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

You may want to co-sign for the loan but, that in and of itself does not make you a co-owner. If co-owning the vehicle is your wish, you need to have your name placed on the Title of the vehicle; e.g., "John Doe and/or Jim Doe, owners".

This is the only way Title and ownership can automatically pass to you in the event of a death. Without co-ownership, you get the debt, but the actual vehicle will only pass to the "estate" of the deceased owner, and not directly to you. This has other implications but, suffice it to say, without your name on the Title, you may never see the car again if it should be seized or sold to satisfy a decedent's debts. Again, you would only get the debt if the car isn't paid off.

However, there are other implications to placing your name on the Title of the vehicle, so you may want to think twice about that also. For example, in the event of an accident, and depending on the situation, if your name is on the Title, you may also be held liable for damages. You need to check your State's laws in this regard in order to determine if, or to what extent, there may be liability in the co-ownership of a vehicle.

If you finally decide to place your name on the Title of a vehicle being driven by someone with little to no driving experience, it's always a good idea to make sure there is heavy insurance coverage and perhaps, an "Umbrella Insurance Policy".

Good luck.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">