• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collectors and Wage Garnishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

Unclear

DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW IF THE STATE OF GEORGIA ALLOWS A CREDIT CARD COMPANY TO GARNISH WAGES???

While living in Texas I was married for 15 years, and have been divorced now for over 3 years. The Judge split or assets and debt.

Last night a collection agency called me regarding a credit card debt that was originally in my name, but given to my ex by the judge. I explained that it is no longer my debt, but the collection agency said because the card was issued in my name the judges ruling was invalid and the company can sue me - and if I did not agree to make payment arrangements within seven days, they will garnish my wages. Texas state law did not allow that collection action... but the man said even though the credit was applied for and issued in Texas, and was never used after the divorce, because I now reside in Georgia, they can garnish my wages (25% of each check). I explained that I couldn't even make the ex pay his court appointed child support, and that there was no way I could pay off a debt that was appointed by a judge to the ex. But he was not worried about whether or not I could feed my kids or pay the bills that I was given in the judgement (which I have stayed current on all of my court appointed responsibilities), but I had a week and they would start garnishing my wages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">