• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College Fund

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

June

My 17 year old son's grandfather put some money into a fund that has just recently matured. He now has $12,000 toward his college expenses, but this will count against him for any financial aid he could get. Someone told us that we should put it into a 4-year irrevokable trust and he could get college loans until he graduates. When he graduates, his $12,000 would have grown and he would have more $ to help pay off his loans. Is this a good idea, or is there something better? Thanks!

ALawyer

Sounds reasonable, but the school financial aid counselor would know better.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">