• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company Using Portion of my Name in same industry and market

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TMCertified

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Greetings: I was just made aware that someone is using a portion of my name in the same industry. I'm afraid of client confusion and hurting my reputation.

I started my LLC in 2004 and this person started in July 2012. My company (Name has been changed for privacy) is XYZ Productions. Their name is XYZ Events. We are both in the event industry even though they are in one aspect of it and I am in another aspect, but we both do the same type of events in the same city (They just do a different facet of the event. So technically we could both be at the same event at the same time if a client hired us both.)

I want them to change their name before confusion starts, possibly hurting my reputation, and worse, possibly taking clients of mine thinking they are now me.

One area that is my fault (again the name changed for privacy) I owned XYZEvents.com up until a year ago when I bought XYZProductions.com from a company in California. I let XYZEVENTS.com go because I didn't need that domain name. I did not figure someone would buy that in my same market and do the same events that I am doing. I am fairly certain that these people do not know me and I do not believe it to be malice, I'm assuming they just did not research well enough before pursuing the name.

I have already contacted them and have not heard back asking them to please change their name. However, I want to know if I have any legal actions I can take if they refuse. Please advise.

quincy

Sure. There is the possibility you could pursue a legal action against them.

I would wait to see what XYZ Event's response to your letter is first, though. If they refuse to change their name, you should consult with an attorney in your area to discuss the legal actions available for you to pursue (possible injunction, possible infringement suit, possible termination of the Event's domain name).

Whether any action you pursue against XYZ Event could be a successful one will depend on all of the facts.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">