• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Computer Business need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mr.reffy

Good evening,

I am building special type of computers, and want to use custom casing, unfortunately, developing a prototype for the case will cost me over $1500, this is not feasible at this point and I turned for another solution. This Ikea cabinet http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40102841/, has exactly same dimensions that I need in a computer case, it is perfect because you can also lock it.

My question is, can I buy this IKEA drawer and slightly mod it, cut some holes, maybe re-paint it, add some decals, and re-sale it as a computer system with a new brand name (no mention of IKEA)?? Is it legal to re-sell IKEA furniture online? I couldn't find any answers from IKEA site, I will try to contact them, but hopefully somebody here has some advice, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Reffy

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Good evening,

I am building special type of computers, and want to use custom casing, unfortunately, developing a prototype for the case will cost me over $1500, this is not feasible at this point and I turned for another solution. This Ikea cabinet http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40102841/, has exactly same dimensions that I need in a computer case, it is perfect because you can also lock it.

My question is, can I buy this IKEA drawer and slightly mod it, cut some holes, maybe re-paint it, add some decals, and re-sale it as a computer system with a new brand name (no mention of IKEA)?? Is it legal to re-sell IKEA furniture online? I couldn't find any answers from IKEA site, I will try to contact them, but hopefully somebody here has some advice, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Reffy
US Law ONLY. :cool:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
As a prototype, I think you are good to go. However, your profitability will be much lower paying retail pricing for something you need to really be buying direct from a manufacturer.
On what jurisdiction do you base your response?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">