• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

computer software

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

ben

If I want to give a WIn 95 CD to a friend and give him the product key code so he can use it is this illegal?? I wouldn't want to steal any money from microsoft!

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ben:
If I want to give a WIn 95 CD to a friend and give him the product key code so he can use it is this illegal?? I wouldn't want to steal any money from microsoft!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The CD is for the exclusive use of the owner as authorized user only. If you bought it as a gift for your friend then it would be ok. On the other hand, if you used it already then will give it to your friend to use/copy/download, then it will be copyright infringement. Did you download it to your hard drive or burn a copy? In effect, you would be stealing money from Microsoft because if you did not do this, your friend would buy his/her own CD. Read the disclaimer on the package, manual and the software.

B

ben

so in essence you can't sell a used computer that has any software in it? If you buy a win 95 CD and use it ,it then has no resale value cause it is illegal to sell it as used ?

I have an old 486 with win 95 on it( it lives in the closet now). My neighbor needs the CD cause his computer came with win 95 loaded on the hard drive and no CD. his hard drive broke so now he is out of luck.
It is copy write infringment for me to give my old CD to him?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">