• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo Association payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rkumar

My condo association informed me some months ago of some unpaid special fees from two years ago (which were not brought to my notice by the previous management company). They sent a notice out through a collection legal agency. I responded to the agency and asked for more information which took them some 4 months to send. After verification I sent them registered mail with the check for the total amount. I have so far received neither an acknowledgement nor a letter stating the new zero balance. Instead I get a letter from the association with a new bill for $1000 dollars more stating late fees and legal fees. What is my recourse here? I think the association and agency are trying to milk an out of state owner for more than the stated amount that they billed me in the first place. I have had a perfect record of paying my association dues. Do I use legal help to solve this issue or what do I do??

T

Tracey

They can't charge you late fees or legal fees to collect a debt of which you had no notice. They can charge you late fees from the time they sent the demand for payment in 10 days (or whatever). Hire an attorney in their state to write the association & demand the late charges & legal fees be dropped. If they refuse, sue them in small claims court. You'll have to travel to their town for the trial.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">