• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conflict of interest?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

flameworker

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I have been asked to join the board of directors of a local non-profit dance company. However, I have a couple a issues with the board/members...

1) "Jane", artistic director of the dance company is a board member. She also runs a dance studio where most of the dancers in the company take classes. Two of her employees are also dance company board members. Does this pose a conflict of interest?

2) The dance company rents space in Jane's studio to warehouse costumes and props. Some of the costumes are being ruined because she doesn't air condition the studio during the summer. I have been told not to bring up the issue of other rental space because Jane would become upset. Is this what is called a feduciary conflict of interest?

3) The board pays Jane and one of her employees small stipends to run rehearsals and choreograph the dances for the dance company. Shouldn't Jane recuse herself when the board votes on her employees stipend?

Thanks for your help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">