• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

confused about W-9

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

amandamac

I am currently running my own construction business as an independent contractor. Do I need to fill out a W-9 form with my TIN# for a client?
Amanda

F

Fitz

If you do not provide your TIN to your client, they are supposed to withhold 31% of your payment as tax withholding. The withheld amount would be submitted to the IRS as "Federal income tax withheld". They would then report the gross amount and withheld amount on a 1099 form. For example, "Nonemployee compensation" would be reported in Box 7 of the 1099-MISC Miscellaneous Income form. Any withheld amount would be reported in Box 4 ("Federal income tax withheld"). You'd report all this on your income tax return.

If you do provide your TIN, your client will not be required to withhold 31% and you would be paid the full amount. You will still receive a 1099 form, but you'd be responsible for submitting estimated taxes to the IRS instead of your client.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">