• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Confusing but novice question about business transfership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FdEntrepreneur

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

OK, I edited this post to try to make it less confusing.

I have a business, and I recently partnered with a couple guys to make a corporation out of it. I never registered my business with the state, just the city, so my partner had to register it with the state then make an incorporation order.

But the old business's DBA is different than the new one's.

Does this mean that they are (legally) two different businesses/companies now?

Last edited:

quincy

What happens to the ownership of a business that was under sole proprietorship when a new corporation is founded for the company?

The original DBA is a slightly different name than that of the new corporation.

Is the slightly-different-DBA-named company a different (old) company than the new corporation?

Thank you in advance.
Huh? :confused:

latigo

What happens to the ownership of a business that was under sole proprietorship when a new corporation is founded for the company?

The original DBA is a slightly different name than that of the new corporation.

Is the slightly-different-DBA-named company a different (old) company than the new corporation?

Thank you in advance.
Gosh, I wish I knew the answers.

Curiously though, what happened to the "old corporation". Before we started figuring in the "new corporation" might be wise to first figure out the old one.

Anyway, the best I can figure is that something is in, something is out, and someone has over indulged in grandma's fruit cake. (Plus, I'm sorry I figure in here. Anyone have an Advil?)

FdEntrepreneur

OK, so the old company's DBA is "Happy Snacks To Go", but the new company's DBA is "Happy Snacks". Does this mean that they are two separate companies?

quincy

OK, so the old company's DBA is "Happy Snacks To Go", but the new company's DBA is "Happy Snacks". Does this mean that they are two separate companies?
I am afraid you are still not providing the information needed to help you. What happened to the first company? Was it dissolved?

quincy

OK, I edited this post to try to make it less confusing.

I have a business, and I recently partnered with a couple guys to make a corporation out of it. I never registered my business with the state, just the city, so my partner had to register it with the state then make an incorporation order.

But the old business's DBA is different than the new one's.

Does this mean that they are (legally) two different businesses/companies now?
It would have been better if you had added your new additional information in a new post instead of editing your first post to add the additional information. Adding to the first post can get confusing.

It is still not possible to tell from the additional information, however, if the old company has been dissolved and a brand new one formed in its place, or if what has been created are two separate entities entirely, or if the old company is a parent company with the new company operating under the old company's corporate umbrella.

If the first (old) company, "Happy Snacks to Go," still exists, it could have one or more companies operating under it, such as "Happy Snacks" (new company) and "Snack Time Toys" (a for example new company), and each of these can operate as separate companies with "Happy Snacks to Go" as the parent company.

If your thread here is connected to your other thread (and it seems that it is), the advice offered you then applies to you now, too. You need to see an attorney in your area for a personal review. It is hard to tell from any of your posts what exactly is going on.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Dandy Don

So why did you never register your business with the state? This is one of the most important things that you should have done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">