• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Consequence for falsely claiming incorporation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Crendrel

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I am contributing a little help to the formation of an online chatting environment. It will have some paid content, different levels of restricted access to certain age groups, etc.

The primary owner of this chat is insisting on placing "Inc." at the end of the chat's name simply because it "sounds good" to the owner.

However, I would at least like to put this issue at ease. If this individually owned business places "Inc." in their title while not actually being incorporated, what sort of consequences could be faced?

Last edited:

Yeah, it's called "Fraud" and a misrepresentation.

You can call yourself a business because anyone can be a sole prioprietorship, however, you cannot claim you are an "Inc." or "LLC" if you are not registerd with the state or in the process of registering with the state.

Why not just spend the $300 and incorporate so you really will "sound good" instead of committing fraud?

Crendrel

Thank you for your quick replies. If nothing else, I at least have the support of knowledgeable people if this owner continues to insist in calling the business a corporation.

If this is the case, I'll be attempting to remove any reference to me as a contributor to the chat. I've only been typing and compiling information for FAQ's and different terms of use, but I'd rather not be credited with authorship, should the owner decide to add "Inc." to my documents.

I greatly appreciate your aid.

HomeGuru

Thank you for your quick replies. If nothing else, I at least have the support of knowledgeable people if this owner continues to insist in calling the business a corporation.

If this is the case, I'll be attempting to remove any reference to me as a contributor to the chat. I've only been typing and compiling information for FAQ's and different terms of use, but I'd rather not be credited with authorship, should the owner decide to add "Inc." to my documents.

I greatly appreciate your aid.
**A: why not talk to the owner about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">