• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract signed but no word from pub house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Anthea2

I sighned a contract with on online publishing company agreeing to sell them a book I had written. The contract was mailed back to me so I do have a copy of it. That was in March. A few weeks later I recieved an e-mail stating that a new editor had been hired and he wasn't happy with the punctuation of the story. I asked what was wrong since the last editor didn't have a problem. He became some what rude with me and demanded that I take my story back. I responded with the fact that I already have a legal and binding contract saying the book was going to be published, if there was something wrong with the story itself I would gladly assist in making changes. He went on to inform me that he hadn't bothered to read the entire story, He was to worried about my puncuation. He then offered to make the changes needed and send forth each chapter to see if I approved. That was may and I have yet to hear anything from this "great" editor. My question is, should I ask for my story back should I be able to get a hold of them. The contract was only good for one year and that will be up in a few more months. Do they have to pay me anything for the time and inconvience? I mean had I known I was going to be treated this way and be given the brush off I would have tried to sell it else where. Can I still try to have it sold else where since they are not doing anything with it?
Thank you for any advise you can give.

JETX

Read the contract. What does it say about them not publising or causing a delay?? Does it state anything about paying you if they don't publish?? Does it state that they WILL publish, or will consider publishing??

You need to be very clear on what protections the contract gives you AND the publisher.

Also, have you checked on this 'publisher'?? Is it/he/she a valid working business?? Or is it, 'Bob' working out of his basement??? That will go a long way to determining what your next actions will be (if 'Bob', little likelihood of payment).

Finally, did you pay anything for the 'publishing' of this great tome??? If so, you really need to learn a lot about the 'vanity publishing' business. They are lower than siding salesmen.

------------------
Steve Halket
Judgment Recovery of Houston
[email protected]
-----------------------
This is my PERSONAL OPINION and is not legal advice! Consult your local attorney for your specific situation and laws!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">