• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contracting within your full time job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sayzme

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I'm currently working in a full time position in the IT field. I have a small consulting business on the side which I run in my spare time. New positions are opening up around my project. I know many qualified individuals for the open positions. My company is going to go out and search for consultants(through placement firms) to fill the open positions anyway so why not hire them through me. I'd be the middleman instead of the placement firms. Can a person who is working full time for a company place people into open contract positions through their personal consulting business? Is this legal? Would you have to leave your full time postion and be hired back as a contractor to do this?

Thanks

H

hexeliebe

Of course it's legal

but whether or not your company will allow you to participate in the recruitment process is another matter.

The first thing you should do is contact your HR department and see if they have a 'preferred vendor' program and ask to have your company listed if they do.

The next thing you should do is either allow any partner or co-owner to handle all placements and/or business with the company and if you don't have one, get one.

If you take time off from work to negotiate these work for hire contracts it would be a conflict of interest and you could be fired for performing non-work related work on company time.

While working for various companies in San Francisco, many of them Fortune 500 firms with international office, I also placed several people through my recruiting firm, some with the companies I worked for. But I had a partner who handled the details so I never had a conflict problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">