• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

converter boxes for cable tv

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cableguy

Is there really a Section 629 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996?
I'm considering becoming a distributor of cable converter/descramblers, however I'm not certain that they are legal. I've found reference to the "Telecommunications Act of 1996" which supposedly makes it legal to make, sell, and buy converter equipment, however it still can't be used for an illegal reason (such as to steal scrambled cable signal without paying). There ARE legitimate uses for these boxes. A good analogy is comparison to guns and knives: they have some legitimate uses, but the end-user can't use them in ways that are illegal (like stabbing or shooting someone). I found reference to
"SEC.629. COMPETITIVE AVAILABILITY OF NAVIGATION DEVICES.
(a) COMMERCIAL AVAILABILITY OF EQUIPMENT USED TO ACCESS SERVICES PROVIDED BY MULTICHANNEL VIDEO PROGRAMMING DISTRIBUTORS-The commission shall, in consultation with appropriate industry standard-setting organizations, adopt regulations to assure the commercial availability, to the consumers of multichannel video programming and other services offered over multichannel video programming systems, of converter boxes, interactive communications equipment, and other equipment used by consumers to access multichannel video programming and other services offered over multichannel video programming systems, from manufacturers, retailers, and other vendors not affiliated with any multichannel video programming distributor."
However, I can't find Sec 629 in the Telecommunications Act online.
Does this Sec 629 really exist?
Are the analogies appropriate?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">