• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cooperative Internet hosting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

adamc

I and a group of others have been running a private Internet hosting cooperative for a while. We split the costs of colocating a server professionally. We would like to expand our service to the general public, but feel that we would need to become a legally recognized entity to do that.

The reasons that we see for needing to do this are:
* Liability protection
* Avoiding having an individual be the legal owner of a hosting account and hardware that are, in practice, the shared property of the group
* Allowing payments to the organization instead of an individual

First of all, do these (or others) seem like compelling reasons to create a legal entity for ourselves? If so, how do you recommend that we go about this? We will have no "income" or "employees." We are not interested in making a profit and will continue to take in money only to cover month-to-month costs. We basically just want a legally recognized conglomeration of our users for the purposes of money and liability. We've considered incorporating, but we would be a very inactive corporation, so I don't know if it would be worth the paperwork.

Thanks,
Adam

P.S.: I haven't included any information on what state I'm in because this entity wouldn't really have a physical location (i.e., we could choose a state of incorporation based on other factors). We have users throughout the world. I happen to be located in California, for what that's worth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">