• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright Law Question on Recipes cont'd

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lindiane

Is there anytime a recipe would be considered public domain? For instance if it was on a label or back of a box, in a magazine? I saw on one web site a discussion about someone stating all the recipes on their site were copyrighted by the owner of the site. Someone evidently wrote in stating they cannot copyright a recipe it is considered public domain. The web-site owner wrote back stating they knew they couldn't copyright the recipe, only the content of the website, her orginal writings, etc... Because if you had to have approval of every recipe on every site, there would be no sites for recipes. This is why I'm confused. My mother (family law 101) stated she thought as long as it was in a library it was considered public domain. But you know how kids never believe their parents know what they are talking about, is why I ask. Thanks again for your time, Lindiane

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lindiane:
Is there anytime a recipe would be considered public domain? For instance if it was on a label or back of a box, in a magazine? I saw on one web site a discussion about someone stating all the recipes on their site were copyrighted by the owner of the site. Someone evidently wrote in stating they cannot copyright a recipe it is considered public domain. The web-site owner wrote back stating they knew they couldn't copyright the recipe, only the content of the website, her orginal writings, etc... Because if you had to have approval of every recipe on every site, there would be no sites for recipes. This is why I'm confused. My mother (family law 101) stated she thought as long as it was in a library it was considered public domain. But you know how kids never believe their parents know what they are talking about, is why I ask. Thanks again for your time, Lindiane<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

A mere listing of ingredients is not protected under copyright law. However, where a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a collection of recipes as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright protection.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">