• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyright Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Keshea

What is the name of your state? IL

I own a home-based business and I plan to contract a graphic freelancer to design logos & web pages for my clients. Does he have a right to add his name to the logos and websites, if I contracted him?

Do I need to have him sign a contract relinquishing him of his ownership to the projects?

H

hexeliebe

Keshea said:
What is the name of your state? IL

I own a home-based business and I plan to contract a graphic freelancer to design logos & web pages for my clients. Does he have a right to add his name to the logos and websites, if I contracted him?

Do I need to have him sign a contract relinquishing him of his ownership to the projects?
It's always best to have a contract, especially for freelancers that spell out the terms and conditions of a work for hire, which is what you are contracting for.

Unless the graphic artist signs a contract that allows him to keep the copyright, it's considered work product and you own it because he produced it as your agent.

But again, have an attorney draft a general work for hire contract, (it won't cost you that much) where you can fill in the name of the consultant, the description of the product to be produced and the time it is to be produced by, along with the compensation you are willing to offer for sucessful completion of the contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">