• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

copyrighted vs uncopyrighted material found on the net

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

a_lily

I am trying to figure out how to decipher copyrighted music and other media material from uncopyrighted music/media material that is available on the net. I am making a movie and would like to use some music/clips from the net but can't figure out what is and isn't copyrighted. Please respond with any answers or suggestions ASAP.
Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by a_lily:
I am trying to figure out how to decipher copyrighted music and other media material from uncopyrighted music/media material that is available on the net. I am making a movie and would like to use some music/clips from the net but can't figure out what is and isn't copyrighted. Please respond with any answers or suggestions ASAP.
Thanks
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

That's because everything on the Net is already "copyrighted" by the author when it is placed on the Net. A copyright is automatic. If you use your search engine, you can find sites concerning copyright law for further particulars; e.g., gaining permission to use such materials.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE:
My response:

That's because everything on the Net is already "copyrighted" by the author when it is placed on the Net. A copyright is automatic. If you use your search engine, you can find sites concerning copyright law for further particulars; e.g., gaining permission to use such materials.

IAAL

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everything on the net is already copyrighted by virtue of WWW publication through internet exposure, but various works have not been officially and formally registered with US Copyright office. Some music/songs either have no copyright or a "public domain copyright" because the songs are so old that the composer/author is unknown or the songs are traditional and commonly used. Once such song is Happy Birthday.

There are several companies that sell a collection of music and sounds on a CD format for your very purpose. Once you purchase the CD, you have an exclusive and free use of the music since the producer bought and owns the copyright. This type of music is commonly called copyright free. It is not really free since part of the money goes to pay the producer (royalty) but you as the owner have no additional royalty fees to pay. Another option is to hire a good local keyboard player to write music on a "contract for hire basis" so you retain the copyright. I have seen keyboard players compose and record music entirely from their keyboards that sound like full 10 piece bands including acoustic guitars, horns and strings. The technology with the use of sampling is amazing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">