• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Corporate name in all caps vs. upper/lower case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Heartstone

I'm filing for an S corp in New York State. I was told by an attorney that my company name wasn't available in upper/lower case, but the same name could be registered in all caps. That seems strange; can two companies have the same name if one is in all caps and one is in upper/lowercase?

adjusterjack

well, you might be able to "register" it but the minute you tried to operate with the name you'd be sued back into the stone age.

Think about it:

Coca Cola vs COCA COLA
Home Depot vs HOME DEPOT
Microsoft vs MICROSOFT
Joe's Diner vs JOE'S DINER

Does that really make sense to you?

quincy

I'm filing for an S corp in New York State. I was told by an attorney that my company name wasn't available in upper/lower case, but the same name could be registered in all caps. That seems strange; can two companies have the same name if one is in all caps and one is in upper/lowercase?
I agree with adjusterjack. If a company has trademark protection for a lowercase name, the protection extends to the uppercase version of the name.

I recommend that you choose for your corporation a name that no one else has - one that is unique to you alone. You will want to check the USPTO database, your state database and do an online search, or hire a search firm, to best ensure you are not infringing on anyone else's trademark rights.

I also suggest you speak to an attorney for advice and direction in forming your S Corp - and it should be an attorney different than the one you spoke to previously.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">