• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Corporate structure of housing cooperative

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nathanw

What is the name of your state? WI

I live in a housing coop that is trying to sort out it's corporate/tax structure. We are interested in pursuing ways in which we can be formed as a nonprofit corp. Is there a way for our coop to take on a benevolent mission and use our house as the workspace of this organization in qualifying for 501(c)(3) status? The main reason I ask is that the municipality in which we are located does not tax properties used by nonprofits. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JETX

That is far too complex a question to be answered accurately on this forum. I would suggest that your board hire a local attorney who can review ALL the issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">