• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could I be deemed responsible of vandalism by selling stickers online?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Humanzee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi, I'm interested in selling custom stickers online. I thought it might be a good idea to put the website name on the stickers. But now I'm wondering if I could somehow be responsible for people who buy them and vandalize public or private property with them and get in trouble.. "sticker-bombing" is a thing among young people. Would appreciate any help because I haven't been able to find an answer my questions. If there's a chance this could end in me paying I don't think this idea would worth it.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

xylene

I wouldn't buy special custom orders stickers that featured some eles's logo or website on them. That's one angle.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi, I'm interested in selling custom stickers online. I thought it might be a good idea to put the website name on the stickers. But now I'm wondering if I could somehow be responsible for people who buy them and vandalize public or private property with them and get in trouble.. "sticker-bombing" is a thing among young people. Would appreciate any help because I haven't been able to find an answer my questions. If there's a chance this could end in me paying I don't think this idea would worth it.

Thank you in advance!
You should not be held liable for the vandalizing actions of others, as long as you do not encourage those who purchase the advertising stickers to sticker-bomb others' property with them.

As a note: If purchasers do vandalize property by sticking your stickers where they do not belong, it can harm your website business and its reputation rather than help it.

Humanzee

I wouldn't buy special custom orders stickers that featured some eles's logo or website on them. That's one angle.
Yeah, I got some for FREE that had a site on them and I didn't like it. You're right

Edit: Looking at the sticker it says to 'Post a photo to IG with #...' You're still right though:)

You should not be held liable for the vandalizing actions of others, as long as you do not encourage those who purchase the advertising stickers to sticker-bomb others' property with them.

As a note: If purchasers do vandalize property by sticking your stickers where they do not belong, it can harm your website business and its reputation rather than help it.
This was what I thought originally, as I do see them everywhere. I wouldn't want (or advertise) for them to be used to vandalize, but I can't control what other people would do with them.

Last edited:

quincy

Yeah, I got some for FREE that had a site on them and I didn't like it. You're right

Edit: Looking at the sticker it says to 'Post a photo to IG with #...' You're still right though:)

This was what I thought originally, as I do see them everywhere. I wouldn't want (or advertise) for them to be used to vandalize, but I can't control what other people would do with them.
The local radio stations around us give away bumper stickers with their call letters and these sometimes work their way onto light poles and store windows, stuck there by the miscreant few (probably those too young to have car bumpers). Vandalism happens.

Here for information purposes is a link to California's vandalism laws: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=pen&group=00001-01000&file=594-625c

A person apparently can get into trouble in California for selling or giving away "etching cream" or aerosol paints to minors so I recommend you avoid that. :)

Good luck with your sticker business.

Humanzee

Okay guys, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to selling things online, or at all for that matter. Would I have to register a company in order to have a website and sell things there and places like amazon/ebay?

Thank you very much for your help, I appreciate it tremendously.

quincy

Okay guys, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to selling things online, or at all for that matter. Would I have to register a company in order to have a website and sell things there and places like amazon/ebay?

Thank you very much for your help, I appreciate it tremendously.
Here are links to resources, first to the Small Business Administration Online Businesses, the second to Starting a Business from California's Secretary of State, and the third to Amazon.

https://www.sba.gov/content/start-online-business

http://www.sos.ca.gov/business-programs/business-entities/starting-business

https://services.amazon.com/content/seller-resources-how-to-guides.htm

If you have never had a business before, it can help to have a mentor - someone in your area that you know and trust who has started their own business and can walk you through the steps to starting an online business.

Good luck.

Humanzee

Who's better than you? :D

I have nothing to say other than: Thank you so much!

I've always wondered what I needed to in order to get the ball rolling when it comes to things like this.

If only I knew all I had to do was ask sooner..

Last edited:

quincy

Who's better than you? :D

I have nothing to say other than: Thank you so much!

I've always wondered what I needed to in order to get the ball rolling when it comes to things like this.

If only I knew all I had to do was ask sooner..
You're welcome, Humanzee. We really appreciate the thanks.

Forum members are here to answer questions and provide general advice almost 24/7, so stop by any time. :)

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">