• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Counterfeit Bank Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stampcollector

I own a samll business (I sell electronics) on the internet. I had a costumer call and order something COD. I send all orders UPS so the UPS delievery person picks up the money (cash, money order or band check). This person gave the UPS person a Bank Check. When I went to cash it in, the Bank stated it was conterfeit. I called UPS (after calling the person who placed the order, the phone is disconnected)but they state they are not liable so I have to eat the cost. I called the local police and they turned it over to the Detective Department (Chicago IL.) This has been 3 months and I have not heard from the Detective officer (I called several times, they don't return my call). Is there anything I can do about this. Is UPS not responsible at all since they picked up the check? The order was for almost $5000.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stampcollector:
I own a samll business (I sell electronics) on the internet. I had a costumer call and order something COD. I send all orders UPS so the UPS delievery person picks up the money (cash, money order or band check). This person gave the UPS person a Bank Check. When I went to cash it in, the Bank stated it was conterfeit. I called UPS (after calling the person who placed the order, the phone is disconnected)but they state they are not liable so I have to eat the cost. I called the local police and they turned it over to the Detective Department (Chicago IL.) This has been 3 months and I have not heard from the Detective officer (I called several times, they don't return my call). Is there anything I can do about this. Is UPS not responsible at all since they picked up the check? The order was for almost $5000.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

The United Parcel Service is not responsible for your losses because: 1) They are not a "holder in due course" and, 2) They are merely YOUR agent, and you are the principle. Their job was to do for you that, theoretically, you could have done for yourself - - that is, deliver the goods and be handed a check; which is exactly what they did for you. It is not their responsibility to determine whether or not a check is good which, as a delivery service is beyond their scope. UPS also offers insurance for C.O.D. transactions which, apparently, you did not avail yourself of. Collect on Delivery sales are becoming more and more scarce, and this is exactly one of the many reasons why. Obviously then, your only recourse at this time is to wait for any results of the Detectives; but don't hold your breath.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">