• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

coupons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pluto

Visited a website that says coupon swapping is illegal because of the manufacturers policy printed on a coupon stating the coupon can't be sold or transfered. If this is true, how is it possible that so many websites are offering manufacturer coupons? Is there some grey area in the law that allows businesses or consumers to exchange coupons? Where can I find the law that discusses this topic?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pluto:
Visited a website that says coupon swapping is illegal because of the manufacturers policy printed on a coupon stating the coupon can't be sold or transfered. If this is true, how is it possible that so many websites are offering manufacturer coupons? Is there some grey area in the law that allows businesses or consumers to exchange coupons? Where can I find the law that discusses this topic?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

I'm sure that the site you perused was the CIC: http://www.cents-off.com/faq.htm

However, a product manufacturer may waive its own policy or rules or laws that protect itself, if it wants to. There are many sites that offer coupons because the manufacturers have authorized their use for printing, from the Internet - - i.e., you can print a million of them if you want. You just have to follow, and are limited by, the rules of that particular company as printed on their coupon.

Obviously, coupons make for good business between the manufacturer and the consumer. Companies can set their own rules, with an understanding of the pervasiveness and particularities of, the Internet. You no longer need to wait for your Thursday newspaper. Coupons are available 24/7 all year round.

By doing this, companies have limited the "criminal element" from use of coupons, because anyone can get just the right coupon from the Internet, without any "back alley" deals going on. Companies are not going after "Jane Housewife" because she, and her friends, are the target users that manufacturers want. The rules are printed
to at least give manufacturers some clout in the event of Civil or Criminal wrongs against them - - of a severe nature - - and not trading coupons with your next door neighbor.

Have fun, keep clipping, and trading. As long as there's no money or other consideration being exchanged for the coupons, the manufacturers love you for it.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

P

pluto

IAAL,

Thanks for you quick response! And you're right, I did come across that site in my search for legal ways to offer coupons
on a website. So are you suggesting I contact the manufacturers and ask permission to be able to distribute the coupons I cut from the newspaper or magazines on a website?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE:

My response:

I'm sure that the site you perused was the CIC: http://www.cents-off.com/faq.htm

However, a product manufacturer may waive its own policy or rules or laws that protect itself, if it wants to. There are many sites that offer coupons because the manufacturers have authorized their use for printing, from the Internet - - i.e., you can print a million of them if you want. You just have to follow, and are limited by, the rules of that particular company as printed on their coupon.

Obviously, coupons make for good business between the manufacturer and the consumer. Companies can set their own rules, with an understanding of the pervasiveness and particularities of, the Internet. You no longer need to wait for your Thursday newspaper. Coupons are available 24/7 all year round.

By doing this, companies have limited the "criminal element" from use of coupons, because anyone can get just the right coupon from the Internet, without any "back alley" deals going on. Companies are not going after "Jane Housewife" because she, and her friends, are the target users that manufacturers want. The rules are printed
to at least give manufacturers some clout in the event of Civil or Criminal wrongs against them - - of a severe nature - - and not trading coupons with your next door neighbor.

Have fun, keep clipping, and trading. As long as there's no money or other consideration being exchanged for the coupons, the manufacturers love you for it.

IAAL

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pluto:
IAAL,

Thanks for you quick response! And you're right, I did come across that site in my search for legal ways to offer coupons
on a website. So are you suggesting I contact the manufacturers and ask permission to be able to distribute the coupons I cut from the newspaper or magazines on a website?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Like I said, as long as there is no "consideration" being traded with, or charged, for the coupons, you can trade them or give them away. You don't need to call the manufacturer. They just don't want you selling them, or paying for them.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">