• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

credit card

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wissy

my husban used our credit card as security for a car rental when he was in an accident. we got into a hassle with the insurance over paying for the rental. The rental co put the unpaid balance on our card. It was way above our credit limit. The credit card co. paid it. Now they are charging us $25 a month for over the limit and another $25 for late fees each mont. We can't afford to pay it off and everything I send gets put toward the fees. I've complained several times and all they say is to take it up with the rental co, or they say it was in the contract you agreed to when you first got you card. Is ther anything I can due to stop them from sucking us dry?

J

jlanza

Good evening, i am certainly not a authority on this topic, however, i am well versed in the auto insurance claims business as a fraud investigator. I have a couple of questions, Is the loss a "at fault loss" ?or was it caused by a third party claimant? If so file a claim thru tha adverse insurance carrier. next, most insurance contracts, not all, cover the rented vehicle as a "temporary substitute" if so the coverages on your personal auto are transferred to the rental. depending on your contract.You have to call your carrier and set up a claim, and if it is a covered loss subject to your deductible. also was a "collision damage waiver" signed on the rental agreement, if you didnt reject it the loss may be covered by the rental agency carrier.i know these options cant stop the creditors but may expedite the payment. also rental companies are notorious for adding prior damage , loss of use, administrative fees, deminishment of value, etc. obtain a copy of repair estimate and have it reviewed by either a auto damage adjuster from your ins company or a auto body professional. i can go on and on , however, hope this will help.

W

wizzy

thanks for replying... it was a third party claim and she was at fault... only problem is they said we took to long in settling the claim for property damage.. limiting us to (I think ) 45 days on the rental but we couldn't get a truck like the one we had for what they wanted to give us. the other problem was it was the same ins co.
it's a real mess and with a busy life (school, work, kids, National Guards, ect.) it's hard to get it straightened out. Can a the ins. co of the at fault driver limit the rental if there is a claim dispute?
thanks for your response!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">