• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit card company is holding me responsible for a charge on a stolen card.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

theGWS

Washington State

In 2000, someone from outside the U.S. bought parts from my sole proprietorship with a stolen credit card. Before shipping the merchandise, I called my merchant services provider to get an authorization for the charge. I got a verbal authorization that the pending charge for approx $3,200.00 was legit (ie: the address I provided matched the card's billing address). I also took down the authorizer's information (name, ext number).

The next month, the merchant provider tried to take the money from my bank account citing that the purchase was made with a stolen credit card. I contested this by giving them the information of the person that verbally authorized the charge. They denied this and said nobody by that name or extension number works at the company. I then closed the bank account so they couldn't take the money.

This morning, I had a voicemail from an attorney that represents this merchant company. He said there will be a summons of complaint delivered to my home later this week, and suggests that I don't ignore this matter any longer. He said I am responsible for the charges because I signed a personal guarantee when I began using this company for merchant services.

Am I truly liable for this fraud despite getting a verbal authorization for the charge?

JETX

"Am I truly liable for this fraud despite getting a verbal authorization for the charge?"
*** Yep. If you will read your merchant agreement, I am sure you will find the specific requirements that they have to get a charge validated. And presumably, that does NOT include a verbal approval for that amount from a non-domestic address.

If/When you get sued, take your documents (including merchant agreement) to a local attorney and let him/her review the facts and advise what action, if any, you can take.

theGWS

The merchant provider has a phone number to call that is for verbal authorizations only.

When a merchant calls this number, the merchant provider simply asks for the details they need (billing address, charge amount), then gives a verbal confirmation or denial.

Is there any negligence on their part for not verifying every detail before giving an authorization?

JETX

If/When you get sued, take your documents (including merchant agreement) to a local attorney and let him/her review the facts and advise what action, if any, you can take.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">