• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Card Payoff, still have finance charges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pcollg

I tried to pay off a credit card debt. I called them and was given the amount owed, closed the account and informed them I was making out the check and mailing it as soon as I got off the phone. I expected there to be no further debt to them, but the next billing cycle, they billed me for finance charges on the amount I paid. When I called them, they said I had called on the day they would have added the charges, so I owe because the check didn't arrive on that day. Do I really owe them? Also note that my check memo noted the account was closed, and "paid in full" and they accepted and cashed my check. (New York State resident)

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pcollg:
I tried to pay off a credit card debt. I called them and was given the amount owed, closed the account and informed them I was making out the check and mailing it as soon as I got off the phone. I expected there to be no further debt to them, but the next billing cycle, they billed me for finance charges on the amount I paid. When I called them, they said I had called on the day they would have added the charges, so I owe because the check didn't arrive on that day. Do I really owe them? Also note that my check memo noted the account was closed, and "paid in full" and they accepted and cashed my check. (New York State resident)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My opinion is that you are morally and ethically responsible to pay the charges but not legally due to their acceptance of the "paid in full" amount as final settlement. I would advise paying to avoid futher hassles with your credit report etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">