• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Customer has a loss with us

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

teapotgirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? We are in Washington state. We have an active repair business and received an item for repair from another state. The customer had emailed us and discussed what was to arrive: a pot and a candlestick. When the articles arrived my husband communicated back the repair costs, did the repairs and sent them back. We were shocked to find out when they were received back to the customer that she had sent the removeable 'lid' to the pot. In fact, my husband didn't even know this pot had a lid since it had not been specifically discussed. This pot appeared to be some kind of open pot and it was not apparent it had a lid (most pots have hinged lids). At any rate, now the customer has a 'loss' and my husband was not sure who was responsible for the loss: us for not checking the box more carefully for the lid which was packed separately from the pot or the customer for never having mentioned the lid or including a packing slip? This pot is quite valuable and one cannot easily find a replacement lid. Most likely it will have to be replicated at great cost. Would her homeowner's insurance cover such a loss? Since there was no mention of a lid until it was lost, were we to know there was one in the box? I'd love to hear some answers for how to solve this problem. Thanks so much.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cosine

She CLAIMS there was a lid? Did you ever see this lid (I'm assuming not). While I have no specific reason to believe this is one, it does fit a pattern of a scam. "He said, she said". It's hard to prove either way.

teapotgirl

More input needed please!

It is a 'he said, she said', but honestly, we believe her that she included the lid in the box. We just didn't know it was there to look for it. Usually these boxes are filled with packing peanuts and you have to really dig around to find something small, especially if you weren't expecting to look for it. I just want to know if they can sue us, interstate, or if we have the right to refuse repayment or reproduction of the lid. Thanks for any input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">