• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

customer makes $; broker gets sued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

excal

Is there damage when there is no loss? Can someone sue when there is no damage?

[This message has been edited by excal (edited July 06, 2000).]

ALawyer

They can sue but they have to have damages to win a recovery -- and I omise you that if I were his lawyer I would be able to suggest possible damages for him (market went up so it should have been $1 million; taxes wiped out 46% of gain, etc.) that would withstand a motion to dismiss and require you to go to trial or get a settlement -- Didn't you have him sign an NASD form arbitration agreement?

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

E

excal

Surprised to read that not making more profit is damage...i could sue most mutual fund managers for damages on this premise...the account outperformed the S&P in this case.

Also surprised to read that paying tax is damage. When one makes a profit, the law says one must pay tax, yes?... in this case it was long-term capital gain.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ALawyer:
They can sue but they have to have damages to win a recovery -- and I omise you that if I were his lawyer I would be able to suggest possible damages for him (market went up so it should have been $1 million; taxes wiped out 46% of gain, etc.) that would withstand a motion to dismiss and require you to go to trial or get a settlement -- Didn't you have him sign an NASD form arbitration agreement?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by excal (edited July 06, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">