• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

customer wants work for free

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I am a small painting contractor who has come across a customer I can no longer deal with. I have bent over backwards to please them. Lost a tremendous amount of money and they are still wanting work for nothing and saying I owe them. I finished the work I started and have written them and faxed saying I cannot seem to please you and I think that you need to find someone that can.
We have went way beyond our original contract to things that were to be done on a time and material basis. I have gave them extra coats of paint for free and done things not even in my original contract. Long story short I am very dedicated to my work and my customers but this one is taking me for a free ride. Now they are threatening to sue me and I dont feel they have a leg to stand on or am I wrong? Just in the short time I have been there not one contractor that has performed work there has satisfied them they have had to return to do more. I feel as if this is a scare tactic he is trying to use just to get me back. Every complaint he has is on something that is not in our original contract ( which I have barely been able to do because of extras). I have went way beyond the scope of work and my time and materials far out weigh what he has given me in a downpayment. SO I am the one losing very badly here. What do I do? Does anyone have any suggestions? I have been attacked of my professionalism as a painter and I want nothing more to do with these people. I have tried everything to please them and the only thing that will work for him in his opinion is to come back and continue to work and finish what I have contracted to do plus whatever else he thinks he can get out of me. Sad to think there are people like that in this world.

ALawyer

You have run into the proverbial bad customer. Whatever you do they want more, and as you say nothing will satisfy them.

And if you don't continue to cave in to their demands they very well might sue. If they take you to small claims court you will have to explain it to the judge. If they sue you in a higher court get a lawyer to defend you.

In the end calling their bluff will be less costly and more emotionally satisfying than being bullied. Alll a court can award is money damages. One thing - if you go around bad-mouthing them (which they deserve) they could then sue you for defamation, so button your lip.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

T

Tracey

Also, don't do anymore extras. Just finish the contract & get out. Also, get the names & addresses of all the other contractors. When they sue you, call everyone else to testify that these folks are just bad customers & nothing satisfies them & your work was excellent. Now, go lookk up the VA lien laws, cause they're gonna stiff you on the bill & you'll have to put a mechanic's lien on their house to make them pay. :)

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Thank you both for your advice ;o) I have thought this through and your both right. Hopefully he will realise his scare tactics do not work on me like everyone else. I have everything document and plan do whatever I have to to fight him. Most little people like me he thinks would give in but I wont.
I have maintain my composure as a professional and will not stoop to his level so hopefully he realises this and just backs off and goes on his merry way realising he could not get to me. If not and he were to take me to court I will fight him and just the satisfaction of knowing I never have to go back there will help me keep my sanity. So I will cross my fingers that if he does take me to court it will work in my favor and maybe he will understand that you cant go around taking advantage of small contractors like me again. Thank you both again very very much!!!!!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">