• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cutting sea grapes licensed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

werner69

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My friend owns a little golf course in Florida. She has a great crew over there taking care of everything.

She also lives close to the golf course so she wants to get the crew over to cut her sea grapes.
What do they need? Should the golf course extend the license for landscaping?
Is there any special requirments?

I thought that they should just register an additional license and get insurance in addition as a "normal landscaper".

Don´t know if I am right.
What is the best way to make it legal and save for her. (liability!!)

Thank you

OHRoadwarrior

So her business has decided that one of the owners perks is free limited landscaping services. She should write a contract out with herself, clarifying the terms of the agreement, such as the company providing the workers and assuming liability for any damages or injuries occurring during the project.

werner69

this is what my CPA told me

when I asked her to make it legal that our employes can also work in the house:

"You cannot do that. XXXX cannot be licensed as a landscaper. You would need to incorporate a new business, get a federal number from the IRS, County occupational license and you would need a separate insurance policy. You would be receiving income from the new company and would not be able to write off any expenses, since it is being done on her own home. with a separate checking account and a separate tax return. That would entail accounting fees, licenses, taxes and bookkeeping fees. "

Is it really true that an existing llc cannot apply for an additional license like landscaping (cutting the lawn, sea grapes,.....) You reall yhave to incorporate a new business?????

This sounds so strange

OHRoadwarrior

What city is this? The state only requires Landscape Architects to be licensed. They deal in drainage and run-off. In fact the FNGLA has their own little licensing "thing" trying to promote a licensing requirement for a landscaping contractor.

Last edited:

quincy

Because sea grapes are protected under Florida law, you have special rules and regulations and the possible need for a permit and a licensed, certified nurseyman, when contemplating cutting or trimming them (there are some exceptions).

See Florida statutes, Chapter 161, Beach and Shore Preservation: Fla Stat 161.053(2)(a) Coastal construction and excavation, regulation on a County basis; Fla Stat 161.163 Coastal areas used by sea turtles; and Fla Stat 161.242 Harvesting of sea oats and sea grapes; and the Marine Turtle Protection Act.

Last edited:

werner69

Thank you

Yes sea grapes need certain treatment and are regulated but the trimming is excepted. You don´t need permit or license. You just have to follow regulation.

So everybody could d it. You just need insurance?!?

werner69

Now we managed the insurance and

they say:
"we cannot send any employees off the site under workmen's compensation laws regulated by the State of Florida. It would be a violation of those laws to do otherwise. "

Is this true and if yes how can i find a solution?

werner69

This is

exactly what I do not want to.

It is also for the future. So I checked already on the insurance which costs me 500$/yr

What else can be the problem???

The lanscapers charge 3700 2x/yr!!!

And I have the people anyway on the payroll.

quincy

exactly what I do not want to.

It is also for the future. So I checked already on the insurance which costs me 500$/yr

What else can be the problem???

The lanscapers charge 3700 2x/yr!!!

And I have the people anyway on the payroll.
So you are actually this female friend of yours who owns a small golf course in Florida?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">