• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dance studio observer ejection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

McAteeShaw

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My daughter owns a dance studio. A mother brings her 5 year old son who has anger management issues and ADHD with her when her 6 year old daughter takes classes. She and the son wait and watch. The son has thrown tap shoes into the class room nearly hitting students. He has tripped a baby on purpose. He runs and slides in the halls, curses, yells and generally disrupts 2 classrooms upsetting many parents. He yells at our teachers and at our office manager most recently, bringing her to tears. After every incident, the mother was given alternative suggestions as to places to take the boy while the daughter was in class. She did this sometimes, but mostly not. We finally sent a letter to the parent saying that he can no longer come to the studio for the above reasons and the safety of our students and parents. The mother was told that we would be more than happy to continue teaching the daughter, but it would be her choice as to what to do. We are now being told that the mother is contacting a lawyer to sue us. My question is - does she have any grounds? We have an anecdotal record of all the incidents involving the brother. Were we wrong in protecting our faculty, students and parents?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My daughter owns a dance studio. A mother brings her 5 year old son who has anger management issues and ADHD with her when her 6 year old daughter takes classes. She and the son wait and watch. The son has thrown tap shoes into the class room nearly hitting students. He has tripped a baby on purpose. He runs and slides in the halls, curses, yells and generally disrupts 2 classrooms upsetting many parents. He yells at our teachers and at our office manager most recently, bringing her to tears. After every incident, the mother was given alternative suggestions as to places to take the boy while the daughter was in class. She did this sometimes, but mostly not. We finally sent a letter to the parent saying that he can no longer come to the studio for the above reasons and the safety of our students and parents. The mother was told that we would be more than happy to continue teaching the daughter, but it would be her choice as to what to do. We are now being told that the mother is contacting a lawyer to sue us. My question is - does she have any grounds? We have an anecdotal record of all the incidents involving the brother. Were we wrong in protecting our faculty, students and parents?
You have the right to do what you did. Sit back and wait - if for no other reason than it's unclear exactly what she's wanting to sue you for.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am curious about something...how could a 5 year old boy bring your office manager "to tears?"

Beside that - I think you're ok. If she sues, talk to a local attorney.

cyjeff

Or, just tell mom that the next time she brings junior will be the last time daughter dances.

You Are Guilty

Or tell Mom the next time she and her little Mussolini come to the studio you're going to call the police and have them removed for trespassing :mad:

McAteeShaw

dance studio & the little Mussolini

Thanks for replies. The office manager is an older woman who has struggled with her weight. The boy told her that she was fat and stupid repeatedly. He told her that she was %#$*** up and couldn't get another job cause she was too dumb. None of which is true, but being sensitive and knowing that she couldn't touch him because he flips if someone touches him, she got frustrated and angry about not being able to remove this terror from the office that he had entered when the door was closed and the lights off. I just think it was a cumulation of all the problems that she has had with him and the repeated abuse that she had from him.

Antigone*

Thanks for replies. The office manager is an older woman who has struggled with her weight. The boy told her that she was fat and stupid repeatedly. He told her that she was %#$*** up and couldn't get another job cause she was too dumb. None of which is true, but being sensitive and knowing that she couldn't touch him because he flips if someone touches him, she got frustrated and angry about not being able to remove this terror from the office that he had entered when the door was closed and the lights off. I just think it was a cumulation of all the problems that she has had with him and the repeated abuse that she had from him.
I would definitely ask mom to please refrain from bringing the son, and if she balks, let her know that her daughter can also find a new place to dance ~ end of story.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If the office manager of your dance studio (presumably catering to children) can't take the rants of a 5 year old, then I submit that you have a liability there.

Sorry to digress. You have the right to tell the lady to go elsewhere.

Hot Topic

The mother probably thinks that because her son has "issues," you aren't "allowed" to eject him or bar him from attending the class.

I would have barred him when he intentionally tripped the baby.

cyjeff

The mother probably thinks that because her son has "issues," you aren't "allowed" to eject him or bar him from attending the class.

I would have barred him when he intentionally tripped the baby.
And, just before mom says it, you have every right as the legal property owner/lessee to decide whom is and is not allowed on the property at any given moment.

You do not have to have a reason for this refusal save that you cannot make it based upon certain specifically mentioned protected classes of people (race, religion, country of origin, etc).

Mom will say she has a right to be there. Tell her that you have the right to call the police and have her removed as a trespasser.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">