• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DBA and personal credit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tberndt2841

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
I am starting a small business and need to file a DBA. My personal credit is extremely poor, can they go after my business? Would it be best to put the DBA in someone else's name?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
I am starting a small business and need to file a DBA. My personal credit is extremely poor, can they go after my business? Would it be best to put the DBA in someone else's name?
Your personal credit history will affect your ability to do business and your business assets will be at risk.

You have proven that you are not personally credit worthy. Why are you willing to risk another person's good name and reputation. It would be selfish and risky for you to ask someone to do that for you.

Tayla

it is my understanding that registering with the state requires the legal owner(s) name and information on both the Legally registered name and the DBA information.
"Doing Business As " is just a covering for the Legal registered entity. A creditor will seek the owner(s) information when establishing a credit line or loan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">